[R] Problems creating a PNG file for a dendrogram: "Error in plot.window(...) : need finite 'xlim' values"

Bill.Venables at csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Wed Jan 12 01:35:01 CET 2011

I very much doubt your first example does work.  the value of plot() is NULL which if you plot again will give the error message you see in your second example.

What where you trying to achieve doing

p <- plot(hc)
plot(p)             ### this one is trying to plot NULL

?

Here is an example (such as you might have given, according to the posting guide):

> x <- matrix(rnorm(500*5), 500, 5)
> dc <- as.dist(1-cor(x))
> hc <- hclust(dc)
> p <- plot(hc)
> plot(p)
Error in plot.window(...) : need finite 'xlim' values
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In min(x) : no non-missing arguments to min; returning Inf
2: In max(x) : no non-missing arguments to max; returning -Inf
3: In min(x) : no non-missing arguments to min; returning Inf
4: In max(x) : no non-missing arguments to max; returning -Inf

Look familiar? This is why:

NULL