[R] Require

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Wed Jan 12 19:04:14 CET 2011

On 12.01.2011 18:53, Gene Leynes wrote:
> I think that the "quietly" argument in "require" isn't working
>
>> require('JumboShrimp', quietly=TRUE)
> Warning in library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc, character.only = TRUE,
> logical.return = TRUE,  :
>    there is no package called 'JumboShrimp'

?require says:
"If TRUE, no message confirming package loading is printed, and most
often, no errors/warnings are printed if package loading fails."

It does not say that is keeps quiet if the package does not even exist
on your machine. If you really want to suppress such important warnings, use
  suppressWarnings(require('JumboShrimp', quietly=TRUE))

> By the way, the behavior is the same with options(warn=0) or options(warn=1)

... which I would expect from reading ?options.
You have to use options(warn=-1) to suppress.

Best,
Uwe Ligges