[R] plot: skip a range of axis

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Thu Jan 13 06:58:09 CET 2011

On 01/12/2011 11:15 PM, Yuan Jian wrote:
> thanks Jim,
> I found gap.plot seperates x axis or y axis into two boxes.
> do you know any plot tool that can skip a range in x-axis or y-axis
> without lines?

Hi Yu,
You could shift your positive numbers down by two, plot those adjusted
numbers without an x axis, and finally display a custom x axis for which
-1 and +1 were at the same point and the positive tick marks were
adjusted back up. I don't think this is a very good idea, though, as the
idea of most illustrations is to convey information to the viewer
without the producer being present to explain what happened to the
number scale. I thought of adding axis breaks on the top and bottom of
the above at +-1, but I'm not sure that it will be much of an
improvement. I assume that the -1 to +1 gap is a substantial part of
your x axis, i.e. you aren't really plotting -Inf to Inf (in which case
your gap would be infinitely small).

Jim