[R] CSV value not being read as it appears

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Jan 14 09:59:25 CET 2011

As a further note, this is a reminder that whenever you get data via a
spreadsheet the first thing to do is examine it and clean up any
problems. A basic requirement is to tabulate any categorical variable.
Spreadsheets allow any sort of data to be entered, with no controls. My
experience is that those who enter data into spreadsheets enter all
sorts of variations of what a human would wish to treat as the same
("Open", "Open  ", "open", etc.), even when told not to.

David Scott