[R] How to *completely* stop a script after stop()?

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Sat Jan 15 17:29:20 CET 2011

Somehow this reminds me of a famous FORTRAN code snippet:

10 STOP
STOP
STOP
! IN CASE STILL SKIDDING
GOTO 10

<quote>
From: Marius Hofert <m_hofert_at_web.de>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 09:09:20 +0100

Dear expeRts,

is there a neat way to *completely* stop a script after an error
occured? For example, consider the following script:

## ==== file.R ====

for(i in 1:10){

	print(i)
	if(i == 5) stop("i == 5")

}
for(i in 11:100) print(i)

stop() behaves like it should namely to stop the execution of the
*current* expression, but I was wondering if it is possible to *really*
stop the script after the first for loop [so without executing the
second for loop or anything after that point]. Of course one could use
something like "if(there was an error) do not continue" but that's not
really nice.