[R] Help in Coxme

Nelson Martins nelson.e.v.martins at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 20:09:12 CET 2011

Thank you for the informations, especially for the cumhaz tip.

I'll explain a bit more of my experimental design:
I have 4 different replicate populations of drosophila, from which I
take samples to infect, in 5 independent replicates (tubes) of 10
individuals each. That makes 200 individuals per treatment (50 per
pop), and if I treat it as a whole like in
coxph(Surv(Time,Status)~Treatment) or coxph(Surv(Time,Status)~strat(Treatment)

some of the variability associated with the population and replicate
would go unconsidered, and the variance would be wrongly estimated.
That's my interest in using (nested) random models.

For now, I would only like to plot the survival curves of each
treatment, with the "correct" s.e.,  and I'm having some troubles with
that using the standard R functions.

In the future I would like to know if
a) what are the different survival curves for each treatment
b) the variability between populations (i.e. if the different
populations are significantly different between each other, for the
same treatment)
c) if the variability within populations for a given treatment is
different from other treatments.
d) all this removing the error associated with the replicates.

Thank you again for your help