[R] Finding NAs in DF

Ivan Calandra ivan.calandra at uni-hamburg.de
Mon Jan 17 11:13:35 CET 2011

Hi,

I hope you made a mistake in c(NA,"TWO","BOTH","ONE") because if not, I
have no idea what you're looking for...

But would that do?
df <- data.frame(A=c(1,2,NA,NA),B=c(1,NA,NA,4))
apply(df,1, FUN=function(x) length(x[is.na(x)]))
[1] 0 1 2 1

There might be better ways to do it, but it works
HTH,
Ivan

Le 1/17/2011 11:01, Johannes Graumann a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> What is an efficient way to take this DF
>
> 	data.frame(A=c(1,2,NA,NA),B=c(1,NA,NA,4))
>
> and get
> 	c(NA,"TWO","BOTH","ONE")
>
> as the result, where NA corresponds to a row without "NA"s, TWO indicates NA
> in the second and ONE in the first column.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
>
> Joh

Ivan CALANDRA
PhD Student
University of Hamburg
Biozentrum Grindel und Zoologisches Museum
Abt. Säugetiere
Martin-Luther-King-Platz 3
D-20146 Hamburg, GERMANY
+49(0)40 42838 6231