[R] effects packages for mixed model?

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jan 17 15:39:13 CET 2011

Dear John,

I've wanted to extend the effects package to mixed-effects models for some
time now. The basics are quite simple and you should be able to do the
computations yourself using the estimated fixed effects and their covariance
matrix.

The tricky computations are for models that have data-dependent bases, such
as those including regression spline or orthogonal polynomial terms. In the
limited time I've had to look at the problem, I haven't figured out how to
get so-called safe predictions for mixed models. Simply using predict()
isn't sufficient, since the effect() function has to manipulate the model
matrix directly.

Regards,
 John

John Fox