[R] question about result of loglinear analysis

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 19 13:37:08 CET 2011

> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 01:20:06 -0800
> From: djmuser at gmail.com
> To: laomeng.3 at gmail.com
> CC: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: Re: [R] question about result of loglinear analysis
>
> Hi:
>
> Well, you fit a saturated model. How many degrees of freedom do you have
> left for error? The fact that the standard errors are so huge relative to
> the estimates is a clue.
>
> Taking a look at your data, it's pretty clear that nation 3 is an
> outstanding outlier on its own. It is clearly - nay, blatantly - different
> from the other nations in the sample. Look at
>
> boxplot(fre ~ nation, data = data_Analysis)
> boxplot(sqrt(fre) ~ nation, data = data_Analysis)

I'm scrolling back though my cygwin windoh, last night I used this,
( read data into "x" not data_Analysis)

> x<-read.table("area_nation.txt",header=TRUE)
> str(x)
'data.frame':   77 obs. of  3 variables:
 $ area  : int  1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 ...
 $ nation: int  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ...
 $ fre   : int  0 0 85 2 0 0 0 0 1 0 ...
> library(scatterplot3d)
> library(rgl)
> scatterplot3d(x$area,x$nation,x$fre,type="h")
> scatterplot3d(x$area,x$nation,log(x$fre+1),type="h")

there is always a discussion here on "looking at pictures" and post hoc
analysis or what is legitimate to do with outliers that may be confusing to
some readers but you always need to keep in mind your overall objectives here.
It often helps to forget for a minute that you are doing something intellectual
or pompous and just stare at the pictures ( or someone else quoted a statistician
talking about getting rat dropping under your finger nails presumably meaning
getting more familiar with details of your data aqusition system LOL).