[R] How to find more about Covariance (in R)

Wed Jan 19 16:44:02 CET 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Alaios <alaios at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear Josh,
> I would like to thank you for your reply.
>

> I think that it is clear that I miss a lot of theory. I have tried in google to read and study more about covariance but I have this feeling that the term 'covariance' is used for many different things in different topics.
>
> You mentioned for example population and sample (covariance) which are two words-terms that I can not distinguish between them.
>
> Even though this is R list could you please provide me some differences to study more about covariance before trying to implement things in R.

Free online intro to statistics class:

http://webcast.berkeley.edu/course_details_new.php?seriesid=2009-D-87303

Or, if you prefer iTunes:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/statistics-2-001-fall-2009/id354822870

> (Even in R are some things that do not understand i.e pearson, kendal and spearman method)

It's not R that you're not understanding ... if you want to use R for
statistics, you need to first learn a bit about statistics. You won't
suddenly be able to "do statistics" just by learning how to use R.

Sorry, there's no shortcut on this one.

Good luck,

-steve

--