[R] Obtaining a quadratic function igven three points on a curve

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Jan 20 16:17:52 CET 2011

I think you need poly(X, 2,  raw = TRUE) to interpret the coefficients
in the manner described below.

poly uses orthogonal polynomials by default:

poly                   package:stats                   R Documentation

Compute Orthogonal Polynomials

      Returns or evaluates orthogonal polynomials of degree 1 to
      'degree' over the specified set of points 'x'. These are all
      orthogonal to the constant polynomial of degree 0.  Alternatively,
      evaluate raw polynomials.

David Scott