[R] spacing of color key in filled.contour

Clint Bowman clint at ecy.wa.gov
Thu Jan 20 18:10:20 CET 2011

I've gotten good results using the sine function to map colors.
For example, when plotting x, map the range(x) to (-pi/2,pi/2)
which the sine will transform to (-1,1), then add 1 and multiply by
half the desired number of colors.  Now the integer values will
pick the colors and give a pleasing display.

If the "squeeze" is taking place only over one of the tails (which
sounds like your case) map the range from (0,pi/2) or (-pi/2,0) and
make the necessary scaling adjustments to cover the number of
colors desired.

Essentially, you are transforming the color mapping instead of
transforming your data.

Clint

Clint Bowman			INTERNET:	clint at ecy.wa.gov
Air Quality Modeler		INTERNET:	clint at math.utah.edu
Department of Ecology		VOICE:		(360) 407-6815
PO Box 47600			FAX:		(360) 407-7534
Olympia, WA 98504-7600

         USPS:           PO Box 47600, Olympia, WA 98504-7600
         Parcels:        300 Desmond Drive, Lacey, WA 98503-1274