[R] Multivariate polynomials Howto

Alaios alaios at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 18:07:33 CET 2011

Good Evening,
I would like to work with multivariate polynomials (x and y variables).
I know that there is a package called multipol but I am not sure that supports my needs.

I use a function (in reality legendre.polynomials) which creates me the polynomials I want.
For example the following returns
> legendre.polynomials(2)[[2]]
x  (first order polynomial)

I would like to calculate the polynomials with variable x with the polynomials with variable y. I do not know how I can do that in R as my function always returns output with x. Is it possible to change variable x with y?

Regards
Alex