[R] ggplot - controlling point size

Brian Diggs diggsb at ohsu.edu
Tue Jan 25 19:06:15 CET 2011

On 1/25/2011 9:44 AM, Felipe Carrillo wrote:
> try this:
> qplot(x, y, data=df, colour=factor(type), size=I(1)) + geom_smooth()

Felipe very nicely answered the "how" of your question.  I thought I'd
followup with the "why."

Using qplot, it assumes that you are giving a set of aesthetic mappings.
  As such, size is being mapped to a variable that is 1 for all entries.
  Then, in the usual way, a mapping is created between values of the
variable in the data space and in the aesthetic space (actual sizes) and
a legend is created to display this mapping.  Enclosing the 1 in an I()
indicates that you are giving a literal value to set the aesthetic to,
in which case no mapping between aesthetic and data space (nor legend)
is needed.

Alternatively, you can use an identity scale to state that the data and
aesthetic spaces are the same, and tell it to not plot the legend.

qplot(x, y, data=df, colour=factor(type), size=1) +
	geom_smooth() +
	scale_size_identity(legend=FALSE)

The distinction between aesthetic mapping and setting is even more
evident in ggplot notation:

ggplot(df, aes(x=x, y=y, colour=factor(type))) +
	geom_point(size=1) +
	geom_smooth()

--
Brian S. Diggs, PhD
Senior Research Associate, Department of Surgery