[R] Problem with R Installation - .RData

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 13:15:51 CET 2011

On 11-01-28 5:15 AM, Iva wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have Windows Vista and I want to install R. However, when I tried to start
> it after the installation, I received the following message:
>
> 'Fatal error. I cannot retrieve the saved data from .RData'. So, in the
> moment R does not work.
>
> Do you have any idea how to cope with this problem?

Find the bad .RData file and move it out of the way.  The rules R uses
to find it are somewhat involved; you might find it easiest just to use
Windows utilities to find it.  But here are the rules to find the home
directory where .RData would be found.

"The home directory is set as follows: If environment variable R_USER is
set, its value is used. Otherwise if environment variable HOME is set,
its value is used. After those two user-controllable settings, R tries
to find system-defined home directories. It first tries to use the
Windows "personal" directory (typically C:\Documents and
Settings\username\My Documents on Windows XP and
C:\Users\username\Documents on Vista/Windows 7). If that fails, if both
environment variables HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH are set (and they normally
are), the value is ${HOMEDRIVE}${HOMEPATH}. If all of these fail, the
current working directory is used."

Duncan Murdoch