[R] how to get coefficient and scores of Principal component analysis in R?

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 20:31:27 CET 2011

By coefficients do you mean loadings?

Anyway, if you read the help for princomp -- ?princomp -- will
get that, you'll see that it says, in part:

     ‘princomp’ returns a list with class ‘"princomp"’ containing the
     following components:

    sdev: the standard deviations of the principal components.

          contain the eigenvectors).  This is of class ‘"loadings"’:
          see ‘loadings’ for its ‘print’ method.

  scores: if ‘scores = TRUE’, the scores of the supplied data on the
          principal components.  These are non-null only if ‘x’ was
          supplied, and if ‘covmat’ was also supplied if it was a
          covariance list.  For the formula method, ‘napredict()’ is
          applied to handle the treatment of values omitted by the
          ‘na.action’.

So for instance,

myprincomp <- princomp(mydata)
myprincomp$scores # shows the scores