[R] User error in calling predict/model.frame

Russell Pierce rpier001 at ucr.edu
Sat Jan 29 20:41:13 CET 2011

David,

Thanks for your feedback. However, I think if you look at the mean of
your output (which, as a minor point, doesn't provide the same data to
predict as expand.grid(X1=c(-1,0,1),X2=c(-1,0,1)), you'll see it is
very different from the mean of dat$out.  Like Ista's previous answer,
I think in your case the predict function acts on xxA and xxB (as if
renaming the newdata to dat[1:2] in Ista's case) and acts as if they
were in their original scale, that is, it doesn't treat the predictors
as Z scores.  As a result, the yhat values are different from what
should be expected.

Russell S. Pierce, M.A.
Visual Cognition Lab
Department of Psychology