[R] Identifying sequences

christiaan pauw cjpauw at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 17:12:29 CEST 2011

Thanks to David, Thierry and Jonathan for your help.
I have been able to put this function together

a=1:10
b=20:30
c=40:50
x=c(a,b,c)

seq.matrix <- function(x){
lower<- x[which(diff(x) != 1)]
upper <- x[which(diff(x) != 1)+1]
extremities <- c(1,lower, upper,x[length(x)])
m <- data.frame(matrix(extremities[order(extremities)],ncol=2,byrow=TRUE,dimnames=list(rows=paste("group",1:(length(lower)+1),sep=""),cols=c("lower","upper"))))
m$length=m$upper-m$lower+1
}

s.m=seq.matrix(x)
s.m
       lower upper length
group1     1    10     10
group2    20    30     11
group3    40    50     11

One can then make a test to see if a certain value (say 9) falls
within one of the groups and use that to find the group name or lower
or upper border

s.m.test=function(s.m,i){which(s.m[,1] <i & i < s.m[,2])}
s.m.test(s.m,i=9)
[1] 1
e.g.
row.names(s.m)[s.m.test(s.m,i=9)]