[R] Plot a network with edges of specified length

PhDGuy huth_nicolas at yahoo.fr
Wed Jun 1 16:29:15 CEST 2011

Hello,

I would like to plot a network with given edge lengths by using the plot
function of the network package. Assume my network has the following
adjacency matrix:

  a b c
a 0 0 0
b 1 0 0
c 1 0 0

so that b and c are linked to a. I would like to specify that the length of
the edge from b to a is 10 times longer than the one from c to a. So I set
the following edge attribute:

> edgesLength=matrix(0,nrow=3,ncol=3)
> edgesLength[2,1]=10
> edgesLength[3,1]=1
> set.edge.attribute(network,"edgesLength",1,e=1:length(network$mel))
> set.edge.value(network,"edgesLength",edgesLength,e=1:length(network$mel))

and then use the plot command:

plot.network(network,attrname="edgesLength")

but this does not take into account the fact that one edge should be 10
times longer than the other one. In fact, both edges have approximately the
same length.
Is this possible with the network package?

Thanks.