[R] [Plea to the R Gods] Theoretical and Empirical CDFs

teriri teriri at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 08:18:37 CEST 2011

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3567636/ecdfs.jpg ecdfs.jpg
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3567636/ecdf_curve.gif ecdf_curve.gif

Hello,

I have generated a plot of two empirical CDFs (attachment 1). As a result,
they are stepwise when plotted. The following code was used:
> plot(ecdf(mut), do.points=FALSE, verticals=TRUE, xlim=range(mut, non),
> col="red")
> plot(ecdf(non), do.points=FALSE, verticals=TRUE, add=TRUE, col="blue")

But what I need instead are smooth curves, similar to ones that are
generated from a theoretical cdf (attachment 2).

I have looked at so many threads; one suggestion to someone else was to use
library(fitdistplot) and look for distributions that may fit (e.g. weibull).
But I could really use guidance before spending additional time on this.

Thank you!

-TW