[R] Help in a project

K. Elo maillists at nic.fi
Thu Jun 2 19:35:59 CEST 2011

Hello,

three commands might do the job (NOTE: df=your data frame,
obser=Observation, var1=Variable 1 [TYPE: string], var1flag=Variable 1
flag [TYPE: string])

1. df$var1flag<-NA
2. df$var1flag[ is.na(as.numeric(df$var1)) ]<-df$var1[
is.na(as.numeric(df$var1)) ]
3. df$var1<-as.numeric(df$var1)

{Please note: Var1 must be type string at the beginning. Otherwise this
would not work (you cannot have an "A" in a numeric column...)]

After this, 'df' gives:

 > df
   obser var1 var1flag
1     1 1000     <NA>