[R] Problem with package development

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 02:02:03 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Rolf Turner <rolf.turner at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> On 03/06/11 11:33, Joshua Wiley wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Nipesh Bajaj<bajaj141003 at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I editied the help page for fn1() function (as I already communicated
>>> in previous mail) as follows:
>>> \name{fn1}
>>> \alias{fn1}
>>>
>>> \title{
>>> A function.
>>> }
>>>
>>> \description{
>>> A function.
>>> }
>>>
>>> \usage{
>>> A function.
>>
>> What makes you think this qualifies as "editing"?  Please read the
>> Writing R Extensions manual thoroughly.  If you had, you would see
>> that what you have written will clearly not work (though I would think
>> this intuitively obvious if you have ever read documentation for
>> R...what function is simply documented, "A function."?).
>
> <SNIP>
>
>    Huh?  What on earth are you on about?  This is just a toy example
>    to get things working and in such instances a title such as ``A
> function''
>    is perfectly acceptable.

Really?  R CMD check screams bloody murder at me:

Bad \usage lines found in documentation object 'fn1':
  A function.

Functions with \usage entries need to have the appropriate \alias
entries, and all their arguments documented.
The \usage entries must correspond to syntactically valid R code.
See the chapter 'Writing R documentation files' in the 'Writing R
Extensions' manual.

--
Joshua Wiley
Ph.D. Student, Health Psychology