[R] Zero-inflated regression models: predicting no 0s

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Fri Jun 3 10:37:52 CEST 2011

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, geojs wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply,
>
> I understand that the predict(zip1A, type = "response") command is computing
> the fitted_means and these are different than the probabilities
> predict(zip1A, type = "prob").

Yes. One evaluates the probability density function, and the other one the
expectation from this density.

> Although, according to Martin (2005), the highest probabilities do not
> simply lead to the true count estimates: "to get the true estimate of
> relative mean abundance from the ZIP one must multiply the estimated
> relative mean number of individuals at a site by the probability that
> the relative mean number of individuals at a site is generated through a
> Poisson distribution."

I haven't checked that paper but I suspect that this is a verbal
description of the fitted mean of a zero-inflated Poisson distribution.
See Equation 8 in the JSS paper that introduces hurdle/zeroinfl.

> I initially thought that the predicted mean and the observed count could
> be compared to estimate the fit of the model,

They can be. But then - not surprisingly - you only assess the fit of the
mean. (E.g., you do not assess the ability to predict the number of zeros,
and you do not assess potential overdispersion etc.)