[R] nonparametric logistic regression based on locally weighted scatterplot smoothing (lowess)

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Jun 4 18:02:56 CEST 2011

On Jun 4, 2011, at 11:41 AM, zhu yao wrote:

> Dear UseRs:
>
> Recently, I have read an article regarding the association between
> age and
> lymph node metastases.
> http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/27/18/2931.long
> In statistical analysis, the authors stated "Because a nonlinear
> relationship between age and lymph node involvement was expected
> based on
> existing literature, lymph node involvement was also regressed on
> age using
> nonparametric logistic regression based on locally weighted
> scatterplot
> smoothing (lowess)."
> <http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/27/18/2931.long#ref-11>
> Could someone explain nonparametric logistic regression based on
> locally
> weighted scatterplot smoothing (lowess)?
> Or it is nonparametric regression based on locally weighted
> scatterplot
> smoothing (lowess)

One can use a logistic link and a local likelihood. Loader describes
the advantages of such a strategy and shows a worked example in pages
60-65 of her text "Local Regression and Likelihood".  But there is no
apparent R content in this question (and the authors of the above
paper said they used SAS) so this very much off-topic for this list.
You really should start such requests for explication by addressing
the authors of the paper. Two other web-based statistical sites for
general or medical statistics questions can be found at the
GoogleGroups MedStats group and http://stats.stackexchange.com/ .

--
David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT