[R] reproduction archives

Alexander Shenkin ashenkin at ufl.edu
Sun Jun 5 22:07:44 CEST 2011

Hello Folks,

As some of my old code broke when an updated package changed its
interface, I started thinking about reproduction of analyses.  It's not
good enough to save our code - we have to save the package versions
those analyses used as well as the R-core.  I saw a couple references to
"reproduction archives" around, but nothing specific.  Is there any good
way to package up code along with the relevant packages and R version in
order to guarantee that we can reproduce our results in the future?  I
suppose that one could make note of all package versions, etc, but
automating the process would mean that it would be followed more often.
(also, tracking down those packages and installing them all just to
reproduce a result could be an undertaking).

Thanks,
Allie