[R] How to assess the accuracy of fitted logistic regression using glm

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jun 6 15:59:45 CEST 2011

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011, Xiaobo Gu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying glm with family = binomial to do binary logistic
> regression, but how can I assess the accuracy of the fitted model, the
> summary method can print a lot of information about the returned
> object, such as coefficients, because statistics is not my speciality,
> so can you share some rule of thumb to exam the  fitted model from the
> practical perspective.

It depends entirely on why you did the fit.  People have written whole
books on assessing the performance of classification procedures such
as binary logistic regression.  For example, the residual deviance is
closely related to log-probability scoring: for some purposes that is
a good performance measure, for others (e.g. when you are going to
threshold the predicted probabilities) it can be very misleading.

In short, you need statistical advice, not R advice (the purpose of
this list).