[R] rgl: insert pauses in animation sequence / movie formats other than gif?

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Tue Jun 7 15:24:57 CEST 2011

Two questions related to creating animated movies with rgl:

1. I've created an rgl scene with 5 different views I want to display in
a movie, but I'd like to insert pauses (say, 5 seconds)
at each view.  How can I do this?

I first created 5 userMatrix's, then

play3d( par3dinterp( userMatrix=list(M1, M2, M3, M4, M5)),
,duration=2*60/5) )

then tried simply repeating each twice,

play3d( par3dinterp( userMatrix=list(M1, M1, M2, M2, M3, M3, M4, M4, M5,
M5)),  ,duration=2*60/5) )

but that didn't give the desired effect.  I see that play3d() has a
times= argument, but the documentation
doesn't indicate how to use it in this context.

2. With movie3d(), I can get an animated .gif, but I wonder if there are
other movie formats (.mov, .mpg) I can get,
either with convert, or an external tool, e.g., so I can embed a movie
in a LaTeX  -> .pdf document using the
movie15 package.

e.g., I tried using convert at in a command prompt window,
 > convert -delay 1x8 coffee-av3D-1*.png coffee-av3D-1.mov

but it seems that only one frame was used.

--
Michael Friendly     Email: friendly AT yorku DOT ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.