[R] Populating values from html

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 13:32:15 CEST 2011

> Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 03:35:46 -0700
> From: ammasamritha at gmail.com
> To: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: [R] Populating values from html
>
> can we populate values into an excel sheet from html forms that has to be
> used in R for data analysis
>
> Can we directly retireve the values from html forms into R fro analysis

Judging from the way many websites offer data, you'd think that jpg is
the best means for getting it LOL. html, pdf, and image formats
are designed for human consumption of limited aspects of a data set.
Normally you would prefer something closer to raw data like csv.
After having visited yet another public website that offers
data in pdf ( YAPWTODIP) I would suggest you first contact the
site and ask them to present data in a form which allows it to
be easily examined in an open source environment ( note this criterion  does not
make Excel a preferred choice either). If you have to scrape web pages,
apparently there are some R facilities but depending on the page you
may need to do a lot of work and it will not  survive if the page
is redone for artistic reasons etc. See any of these results for example,

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cran+page+scraping