[R] 2.13 version doesn't load packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 8 14:19:32 CEST 2011

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011, Mariana Varela wrote:

> Hi, I just installed the 2.13 version for Mac (without uninstalling

As the posting guide says, there is no such version of R ....

Also, I think you did uninstall a previous version, for it is missing
and the default behaviour of the Apple installer is to delete previous
versions.

> the previous versions). I transferred the folder library containing
> the packages I normally use to the 2.13 library folder. When I
> require any package this is what I get:
>
> require(ape)
> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>  unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/library/gee/libs/x86_64/gee.so':
>  dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/library/gee/libs/x86_64/gee.so, 6): Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.12/Resources/lib/libRblas.dylib
>  Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.13/Resources/library/gee/libs/x86_64/gee.so
>  Reason: image not found
>
> However when type "library" the packages are there.
>
> Any hints?

Read the documentation: that is not the way to update!  But given that
you have done so, run

update.packages(checkBuilt = TRUE)

at the R prompt to download and install updated versions of your
packages.

We do ask that Mac questions are asked on r-sig-mac, at least if this
is for the CRAN distribution of R (there are others, and it is
substantially different from building R from the sources for
yourself).  One of the many things that is non-standard about that
distribution is that it hardcodes library paths in its DSOs, so any
package with compiled code is tied to a small range (e.g. 2.12.[012])
of R versions.

You will find a lot of discussion about updating in the recent
r-sig-mac archives.  See also the rw-FAQ at
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#What_0027s-the-best-way-to-upgrade_003f