[R] computer name

pdb philb at philbrierley.com
Mon Jun 13 05:19:27 CEST 2011

Is there an r function that will be able to identify the computer the code is
running on?

I have some common code that I run on several computers and each has a
database with a different server name - although the content is identical.

I need to set thisServer depending on which machine the code is running
on...

something like...

if(pcname = pc1) thisServer = 'SERVER1'
if(pcname = pc2) thisServer = 'SERVER2'

conn <- odbcDriverConnect("driver=SQL Server;database=x;server=thisServer;")

...rest of code will now run OK.

I know I could set the DSN names the same and use...

conn <- odbcConnect("commonDSNname")

 but I was wondering if there was another way