[R] smoothScatter function (color density question) and adding a legend

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 13 12:49:14 CEST 2011

> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 21:52:21 -0400
> From: ccolling at purdue.edu
> To: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: [R] smoothScatter function (color density question) and adding a legend
>
> Dear R experts,
>
> I am resending my questions below one more time
> just in case someone out there could help
> but missed my email.

Thanks, I was curious about this and so I installed the geneplot package
and that went fine but I had another issue and need to take care of that.
First, see if "?legend" helps at all ( no idea, I have not used this stuff much).
Also source code should be available for the pacakge you care about.

On quick read, it sounds like this uses a binning system for colors. If you
want something slightly different and much slower, I have some examples
( IIRC) that calculate densities in R using something similar to electric
field calculation around points, ( again I'm in a hurry and pulling this
from archive so caveat emptor this plot may not correspond exactly to
example script below etc),

http://98.129.232.232/coloumb1.pdf

mydensity<-function(x1,x2)
{

len=length(x1);
z<-1:len;
for ( y in 1:len )
{

nx=c(1:(y-1),(y+1):len);
if ( y==1) {nx=2:len;}
if (y==len) {nx=1:(len-1); }
# coloumb is a bit much with overlapping data points, so limite it a bit
z[y]=sum(1.0/(.001*1+(x1[nx]-x1[y])*(x1[nx]-x1[y])+(x2[nx]-x2[y])*(x2[nx]-x2[y])));
#for
}
print(max(z));
print(min(z));