[R] Reset R's library to base packages only (remove all installed contributed packages)

Janko Thyson janko.thyson.rstuff at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 14 12:04:20 CEST 2011

Dear list,

is there a way to comfortably "reset" R's library such that it only
contains only the base packages again? In other words, how can I
uninstall all contributed packages that I installed? Is there some sort
of index that's keeping track of what has been installed? If so, a
pointer would be great.

AFAIU, if you don't create such an "index file" yourself and loose track
of what you installed, probably the best way to "reset" R is to actually
re-install it. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

I would like something like

path.lib <- "path/to/R/lib"
pkgs.to.remove <- readLines(path.to.index.file)
sapply(pkgs.to.remove, uninstall.packages, lib=path.lib)

Best regards,
Janko