[R] When models and anova(model) disagree...

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Jun 16 06:37:44 CEST 2011

The individual tests on coefficients in logistic regression are generally based on a Wald test statistic.  Unfortunately there is a bit of a paradox possible in this case where the coefficient is highly significant, but due to a flattening of the likelihood the standard error is overestimated and the p-value ends up non-significant.  The anova function uses the likelihood ratio test which is not affected by this and is the more trustworthy statistic to use.

I assume that you are using the lrm function from the rms package, the book that that package goes along with gives more detail (including the name of the paradox which I don't remember at the moment (and my copy of the book is currently 40 miles away)).