[R] cannot install Rcmdr on ubuntu 11.4

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 16 11:11:04 CEST 2011

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011, Frans Marcelissen wrote:

> Hello,
> For one reason or another, I cannot install Rcmdr on my R 2.12.2 ubuntu 11.4 system.
> I run R as root When I try to install Rcmdr, then whatever mirror I select, I get the message:
>
> install.packages('Rcmdr',dependencies=TRUE)
> Installing package(s) into ?/usr/local/lib/R/site-library?
> (as ?lib? is unspecified)
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> Warning message:
> In getDependencies(pkgs, dependencies, available, lib) :
>  package ?Rcmdr? is not available
>
> Installing other packages works fine. Does anyone have any idea
> which stupid mistake I make? I have also installed the server

Not updating your R before posting, as the posting guide asked you to.
The current Rcmdr has

Depends:                       R (>= 2.13.0), tcltk, grDevices, utils,
                                car (>= 2.0-0),

R 2.13.0 has been out for a couple of months now, and quite a few
packages depend on it (and earlier versions are not supported, a per
the posting guide).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk