[R] Porting "unmaintained" packages to post R 2.10.0 era

Ben Rhelp benrhelp at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 16 14:46:33 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I am trying to re-compile some "unmaintained" (it seems) packages, namely rSoNIA
and dynamicnetwork from:
http://csde.washington.edu/~skyebend/rsonia/rsoniaDemo/
These packages predates R 2.10.0 so they need to be recompile.

After split the single big file in /man in each packages into a file  for each
function + some minor fix,  I successfully manage to recompile and load the
packages

C:\BenSave\R\BuildRPackage>R CMD build --binary dynamicnetwork
--binary is deprecated
* checking for file 'dynamicnetwork/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* preparing 'dynamicnetwork':
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
* checking whether 'INDEX' is up-to-date ... OK
* checking for LF line-endings in source and make files
* checking for empty or unneeded directories
* building binary distribution
* installing *source* package 'dynamicnetwork' ...
** help
*** installing help indices
** building package indices ...
** testing if installed package can be loaded
     Classes for Relational Data
Version      1.6 created on      January 28, 2011.
copyright (c) 2005, Carter T. Butts, University of California-Irvine
                    Mark S. Handcock, University of Washington
                    David R. Hunter, Penn State University
                    Martina Morris, University of Washington
For citation information, type citation("network").
Type help("network-package") to get started.
* MD5 sums
packaged installation of 'dynamicnetwork' as dynamicnetwork_0.0-4.zip

* DONE (dynamicnetwork)

I then tried to run the main example, but it seems no function has been built
(The help for these function is working for some reason).

>fauxDyn <- as.dynamic(fauxSim20, check.renewal=FALSE);

Error: could not find function "as.dynamic"

>launchSonia(fauxDyn);

Error: could not find function "launchSonia"

Is there a HOWTO/porting guide for packages pre R 2.10.0 to post R 2.10.0?

I have tried googling for it but I must be looking at the wrong place.

What about "--binary is deprecated"? What is the correct way now?

Thanks in advance,

Ben