[R] Bartlett's Test of Sphericity

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Sat Jun 18 18:08:42 CEST 2011

I do not understand why that would be the case as the only input involving
the relationship of the data is the determinant of the correlation matrix.
For what you suggest to be true, the non-normality of the data  would have
to introduce correlation.

If what you are saying is true, we would expect the p.value in uncorrelated
samples to be significant more or less often than 5 percent of the times
(dependent on what exactly you mean by sensitivity) when we use a random
sample of highly skewed gamma and Poisson distributions as data. At least
for two data columns the example below does not suggest that this is the
case.

Daniel

set.seed(4785)

cor.data<-NULL
chi.square<-NULL
p.value<-NULL

for(i in 1:1000){
y<-rgamma(100,1,2)
x<-rpois(100,2)

data=data.frame(x,y)

cor.data[i]=cor(data,use='pairwise.complete.obs')[1,2]
chi.square[i]=-( (dim(data)[1]-1) - (2*dim(data)[2]-5)/6 )*
log(det(cor(data,use='pairwise.complete.obs')))
p.value[i] = 1-pchisq(chi.square[i],(dim(data)[2]^2-dim(data)[2])/2)
}

hist(p.value)
quantile(p.value,prob=0.95)