[R] Bartlett's Test of Sphericity

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Sat Jun 18 20:22:31 CEST 2011

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

To summarize, bartlett.test() in the base distribution of R is not the
sphericity test, and it relies on the higher moments of the normal
distribution. The sphericity test can be computed with the formula provided
or the one implemented in the psych package, and it does not rely on the
higher moments of the normal distribution, but only on the correlation
structure between the data.