[R] Can I disable Cairo?

Mario Valle mvalle at cscs.ch
Mon Jun 20 14:25:55 CEST 2011

On Linux 2.13 by default links cairo, so png() uses it for rendering.
One of my users has performance problem, so ask if it possible to
temporary disable cairo during png() rendering so it reverts to grGraphics.
My workaround for now is to configure R without cairo, but this affects
all users that are forced to load and use CairoDevice if they wants
better quality.
I want to avoid this, is it possible?
Thanks!
                             mario