[R] Possible amendment to 'Writing R extensions' [was 'Porting "unmaintained" packages to post R 2.10.0 era']

Stephen Ellison stephen.ellison at lgcgroup.com
Mon Jun 20 15:17:11 CEST 2011

Dear Uwe,

> If you think the relevant section is not sufficient, it's
> your turn to provide a short and precise suggestion for a
> change, preferable a diff against the R-devel sources. That
> way you may be able to convince an R Core member to work on it.

I would be more than happy to rearrange the parts I have identified as hard to find or under inappropriate headings and add the odd qualification to help folk find the useful bits; if that's all you need I will do so and send you the diff.

The caveat is that i) that leaves a comparative amateur hacking about in 'Writing R extensions' and 'R Installation and administration' and b) I cannot guarantee that the result will represent the best practice you want people to adopt because only you know that.

Alternatively I will be happy to provide some suggested editorial changes to you - based on what I've already said - so that you can think about them and maybe include them together with your own recommendations.

Let me know what you'd like me to do.