[R] Accessor functions in lattice graphics

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon Jun 20 16:49:44 CEST 2011

Hi all:

Thanks, David. This is a good example of knowledgeable "R forensic
investigation." I leave it to Frank whether it meets his criteria.

However, I would argue that that this is bad practice and quite
unwise. In general, these details are implementation dependent and
could change. Yes, they are exposed, but only because everything is in
R. The more desirable and safer way to do things would be to use
accessor functions. I believe Frank's question was to ask whether such
accessor functions exist. If they do not, then of course one is stuck
with writing one based on details like thoseyou have elucidated. But
this is really not good programming practice, imo.

Contrary and more informed views welcome.

Cheers,
Bert