[R] importing a file

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Jun 20 23:34:20 CEST 2011

On Jun 20, 2011, at 5:16 PM, Alina Sheyman wrote:

> I haven't used R in a couple of years, and now  am trying something as
> simple as importing a csv file and am running into problems right
> away.
> *
> mydata <- read.csv (Wordata1.csv, sep="")
> Error in read.table(file = file, header = header, sep = sep, quote =
> quote,
> :
>  object  not found
>
> *I've tried in both as as read.csv and read.table and still get the
> same
> message.
> I've double-checked that I'm in the right directory using "getwd()"
> and
> indeed I am.
>
> Any ideas on what might be causing this error message? Can it be
> something
> in the format of the file?

No. The error is telling you that there is no object with the name
'Wordata1.csv' in the R workspace.

Try quoting the file name (assuming such a named file is in your
working directory.) It also doesn't make much sense and may even be an
error to supply a sep="" argument to read.csv().

> (I've looked through the archives and didn't see anything that might
> explain
> it)

Well, there are surely examples where questioners have been told they
needed to quote the 'file' argument, but there might be many other
errors that created an invalid argument.

--
David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT