[R] xyplot Legend Title and Position

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 07:23:34 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Justin McBride <crazyhawk48 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dennis,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion, but that is not exactly what I was after.
> I was trying to get the legend in the margin on the top right of the
> page and not in the plot frame.  Is there a way to do this?

One option is:

xyplot(Yield ~ Date,
       groups=Machine,
       auto.key=list(title="Machine", space = "top", cex=1.0, just = 0.95),
       par.settings = list(superpose.symbol=list(pch = 0:18, cex=1)))

Strictly speaking, this places the legend right-justified on the top
(which is not quite the top-right corner). The other option, which
gives you more flexibility, but needs you to control space manually,
is

xyplot(Yield ~ Date,
       groups=Machine,
       auto.key=list(title="Machine", corner = c(1, 1), x = 0.95, y =
1, cex=1.0),
       par.settings = list(superpose.symbol=list(pch = 0:18, cex=1),
                           layout.heights = list(top.padding = 8),
                           layout.widths = list(right.padding = 8)),
       lattice.options = list(legend.bbox = "full")
       )

-Deepayan

> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Dennis Murphy <djmuser at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> Part of the problem is that you have a point in the upper right corner
>> of your plot, so one way around it is to expand the y-range. Try this:
>>
>> xyplot(Yield ~ Date,
>>      groups=Machine, ylim = c(7, 22),
>>      auto.key=list(title="Machine", corner = c(0.95, 1), cex=1.0),
>>       par.settings = list(superpose.symbol=list(pch = 0:18, cex=1)),
>>      )
>>
>> HTH,
>> Dennis
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Justin McBride <crazyhawk48 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Dear R Community,
>>>
>>> I'm using xyplot in Lattice with a legend and a title on the legend.
>>> The title on legend is being cut off, as can be seen by running the
>>> code below.   The legend is on the right, but I would like to get to
>>> the top right of the graphics window.  Is there a way to get the
>>> legend title to display correctly and move the whole legend up the the
>>> top right?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Justin
>>>
>>> ### R code