[R] error using glmmML()

Göran Broström goran.brostrom at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 17:22:37 CEST 2011

Tom,

thanks for spotting a bug in glmmML; internally, glmmML sorts data by
cluster. The bug is that I missed to sort the weights accordingly.
Weights are produced when the response is a two-column matrix, as in
your case. So, glmmML calls glm.fit with wrong weights, and the
warning comes from that. Unfortunately, this also affects the rest of
the fitting procedure.
I will fix this asap.

Meanwhile, a possible workaround: Sort your data.frame by cluster
before calling glmmML.

Göran

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 5:13 AM, Tom Kraft <thomas.s.kraft at dartmouth.edu> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> This question is basic but I am stumped. After running the below, I receive
> the message: "non-integer #successes in a binomial glm!"
>
> model1 <-
> glmmML(y~Brood.Size*Density+Date.Placed+Species+Placed.Emerging+Year+rate.of.parperplot,
> data = data, cluster= data$Patch, family=binomial(link="logit"))
>
> My response variable is sex ratio, and I have learned quickly not to use
> proportion values as data. Instead, my response variable y is a 2 column
> matrix that looks like the following but with more rows. Column 1 would be
> number of males and column 2 would be number of females in a brood.
>
>         [,1]    [,2]
>  [1,]   18   19
>  [2,]    7   37
>  [3,]    5   26
>  [4,]    4   16
>  [5,]    6   19
>  [6,]    4   15
>  [7,]   15   14
>  [8,]   15   29
>
> All the numbers in both columns are integers. I am able to use this same
> format for my response variable when using the glmer() function with no
> problem. In the documentation for glmmML, it says "For the binomial
> families, the response can be a two-column matrix". Isn't that what I am
> using? Is it immediately obvious to anyone what is wrong with my input? Or
> perhaps I am doing something else wrong? Thanks so much in advance,
>
> Tom

Göran Broström