[R] mlogit model that contains both individual-specific parameters and universal parameters

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Wed Jun 22 23:07:04 CEST 2011

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Quang Anh Duong wrote:

> Hello,?
>
> I am pretty new to mlogit, and still trying to figure out what models to
> use.I have a data set of N individuals, each of which faces I
> alternatives. The utility function of individual n, for choice i is:?
>
> u(i,n) = alpha(i) * x1(i,n) + beta * x2(i,n)?
>
> where alpha(i) is the individual specific parameter, and beta is shared
> among all individuals. I don't really know how to set this up in
> mlogit.?

I guess you mean that alpha(i) is the alternative-specific coefficient of
the individual-specific regressor x1(n)? And x2(i,n) is an
alternative-specific regressor with coefficient beta. If so, the model is
y ~ x2 | x1. (Possibly, you may want to exclude the alternative-specific
intercepts.)

But see the extensive package vignettes for more details:

   vignette("mlogit", package = "mlogit")
   vignette("Exercises", package = "mlogit")

hth,