[R] Problem with mclapply -- losing output/data

Janet Young jayoung at fhcrc.org
Thu Jun 23 04:22:46 CEST 2011

Hi Elizabeth,

I just found your thread after experiencing a similar problem (I was also
using some IRanges/GenomicRanges functions).  You've probably figured it
out by this time - I'm actually curious to know what you found?

I think I've tracked it down in my case, where a small minority of the
elements I was trying to lapply/mclapply over caused a genuine error
(perhaps in your case a genuine NULL answer - is that possible?).  When
I used lapply that error was very obvious - it came up on the screen.
But when I used mclapply it looked like the function completed fine -
it wasn't until later that I saw the error was captured as a string
object in the relevant slot of  the list object returned by mclapply.
I should build in some checking if I want to persist with using
mclapply.

I wonder if something similar is going on in your case?

Janet