[R] problem (and solution) to rle on vector with NA values

Cormac Long clong150 at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 23 15:44:20 CEST 2011

Hello there R-help,

I'm not sure if this should be posted here - so apologies if this is the case.
I've found a problem while using rle and am proposing a solution to the issue.

I ran into a niggle with rle today when working with vectors with NA values
(using R 2.31.0 on Windows 7 x64). It transpires that a run of NA values
is not encoded in the same way as a run of other values. See the following
example as an illustration:

Example:
The example
        rv<-c(1,1,NA,NA,3,3,3);rle(rv)
Returns
        Run Length Encoding
          lengths: int [1:4] 2 1 1 3
          values : num [1:4] 1 NA NA 3
not
        Run Length Encoding
          lengths: int [1:3] 2 2 3
          values : num [1:3] 1 NA 3
as I expected. This caused my code to fail later (unsurprising).

Analysis:
The problem stems from the test
         y <- x[-1L] != x[-n]
in line 7 of the rle function body. In this test, NA values return logical NA
values, not TRUE/FALSE (again, unsurprising).

Resolution:
I modified the rle function code as included below. As far as I tested, this
modification appears safe. The convoluted construction of naMaskVal
should guarantee that the NA masking value is always different from
any value in the vector and should be safe regardless of the input vector
form (a raw vector is not handled since the NA values do not apply here).

rle<-function (x)
{
    if (!is.vector(x) && !is.list(x))
        stop("'x' must be an atomic vector")
    n <- length(x)
    if (n == 0L)
        return(structure(list(lengths = integer(), values = x),
            class = "rle"))

    #### BEGIN NEW SECTION PART 1 ####
    naRepFlag<-F
    if(any(is.na(x))){
        naRepFlag<-T
        IS_LOGIC<-ifelse(typeof(x)=="logical",T,F)

        if(typeof(x)=="logical"){
            x<-as.integer(x)
            naMaskVal<-2
        }else if(typeof(x)=="character"){
            naMaskVal<-paste(sample(c(letters,LETTERS,0:9),32,replace=T),collapse="")
        }else{
            naMaskVal<-max(0,abs(x[!is.infinite(x)]),na.rm=T)+1
        }

        x[which(is.na(x))]<-naMaskVal
    }
    #### END NEW SECTION PART 1 ####

    y <- x[-1L] != x[-n]
    i <- c(which(y), n)

    #### BEGIN NEW SECTION PART 2 ####
    if(naRepFlag)
        x[which(x==naMaskVal)]<-NA

    if(IS_LOGIC)
        x<-as.logical(x)
    #### END NEW SECTION PART 2 ####

    structure(list(lengths = diff(c(0L, i)), values = x[i]),
        class = "rle")
}

Conclusion:
I think that the proposed code modification is an improvement on the existing
implementation of rle. Is it impertinent to suggest this R-modification to the
gurus at R?

Best wishes (in flame-war trepidation),
Dr. Cormac Long.