[R] Memory(RAM) issues

Abhisek Saha tading at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:57:10 CEST 2011

Hi Lui, Anupam and my other R-user friends,
Thanks  for your previous suggestions. As for my issue, it is clearly
RAM problem as my code is running perfectly as long as my input data
size is small and code has been refined a number of times to increase
efficiency [ by using matrix more in the context of manipulations and
reducing order of time complexity wherever possible]. Yet  it has
gotta run 2000 iterations and in each of the iterations it repeatedly
modifies  few [0.5 Mn * 15] tables

After few basic investigation it seems that the problem MAY be
resolved if 64 bit version of R is installed in 64 bit OS as it claims
to be able use potentially a  8TB RAM ( for my case I think 4 GB RAM
may serve the purpose but 2 GB is not enough) if available.I don't
have any domain knowledge in IT since I hail from a statistics
background.  I work in a company as a statistical analyst. The IT
folks of my company are ready to deploy any free solution but I need
to tell them what software needs to be installed and what all OS
configurations would be required. They normally run all of the
applications on unix servors.

So I need to know if any free 64 bit of R version can be installed in
unix servor or if not unix, may be on other servor. So hereby I
request my R-user friends to please let me know if any free 64 bit
version of R is available that can be installed on any unix servor. If
that is not available is there any other FREE  solution and if
available, how to get that and what all configuration is required.

Awaiting your replies,
Regards,
Abhisek

P.S. Please forward this mail to any other R-mailing list if you deem
it fit for any of them.