[R] Need help on a R script part

Hugo Mildenberger Hugo.Mildenberger at web.de
Sun Jun 26 15:03:55 CEST 2011

Duncan,

it isn't really that difficult to diagnose. A google search for

        "ss11=sample(x1, n1, replace=TRUE) "

turned up this documented R-script

      ttp://www2.latech.edu/~dcahoy/TwoSampleEqualVarTest.R

as a likely source for his fragmented and mangled post; other variable
names match as well. But besides  this, Lusk also demanded to be
provided with a mathematical notation of the R code he posted. While
he certainly could have followed Dexter O. Cahoy's reference to the
underlying paper at

   ttp://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S016794731000157X

to get the theoretical background and a formal notation, I do imagine
a tool which takes the R parse tree as input and produces a mathematical
notation as a nicely formatted (LaTex) output, similar to what Mathematica
does on the fly.

At least I like this idea (h/t to Lusk) and think it should be doable for
some less complex functions at first. Such a translator could greatly
enhance function documentation, facilitate debugging and so on, but
may also provide a base implemention for interfaces specific to other
programs, thus giving R the ability to also export algorithms.

Best regards

Hugo Mildenberger

On Saturday 25 June 2011 15:55:51 Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 11-06-25 11:33 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
> > I'm curious about what would cause this (see below), if it isn't a joke.
> > Is it possible that it didn't look ridiculous in the deleted HTML but the
> > text looked bad?  It's almost unreadable.  I guess the HTML gets deleted
> > because it is a waste of space, but I received a 14 MB message from this
> > list the other day.
>
> I imagine you need to contact the poster, and find out what they sent.
> It's hard to diagnose after it's been mangled.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>

> > Mike
> >

> > On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Lusk Aris wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >> I need all your help on this. I have the next part of code:............e1=x1-mean(x1)e2=x2-mean(x2)n1=length(x1)n2=length(x2N=(n1 +
n2)nu2=sum( c(  ( x1 -mean(x1) )^2 , ( x2-mean(x2) )^2  ) )/Nss=c(e1,e2) b3= N*sum(ss^4)/ (sum( ss^2)^2)............what do lines 6-8 (mathematical
notation)?Also the, what means part?............for(j in 1:B){ ss11=sample(x1, n1, replace=TRUE) ss12=sample(x2, n2, replace=TRUE)
............}............????I would appreciate you could help on my inquiry, and I am awaiting for your soon answer Thx in advance, Lusk