[R] Standards for delivery of GPL software in CRAN packages

Galkowski, Jan jgalkows at akamai.com
Mon Jun 27 14:24:20 CEST 2011

I wondered if there were standard practices in CRAN for delivery of R source implementing functions in R packages. I has encountered a couple of packages where the gzipped version of source contains very little, primarily the Help files describing the functions in the package. In some cases I can find the source as the value of the function name.

Given that these packages are released as GPL, oughtn't the unoptimized source be freely available, hopefully with comments? Am I missing something? Is there a central place other than mirrors where such source is retained? Sourceforge?

  - Jan

- Jan, from Sierpinski,
     a Blackberry, 6072391834,
     Google Talk to: