[R] Add use of dput() to the instructions at bottom of post?

Ivan Calandra ivan.calandra at uni-hamburg.de
Mon Jun 27 15:44:29 CEST 2011

I actually thought it was in the posting guide, but I could not find it
with a text search. Did I overlook it?

I'm not sure that adding the dput() function at the bottom of every
e-mail will help, since you don't see it when you write an e-mail, just
when you receive one. Though it cannot hurt to add it.

Ivan

Le 6/27/2011 15:00, John Kane a écrit :
> It's often difficult to figure out what a problem data set looks like when someone pastes a mess of output from R into an e-mail.  The dput command, used judiciously—I would hope no one would send a 1 M data set—can make life much easier.
>
> I wonder if it would be useful to add a hint in the instructions at the bottom of the posting page, where the list asks for self-contained reproducible code, to also hint at using dput() to supply sample data?
>
> I suspect a considerable number of relatively new users do not know that it exists--certainly that was true for me for quite a long time.

Ivan CALANDRA
PhD Student
University of Hamburg
Biozentrum Grindel und Zoologisches Museum
Dept. Mammalogy
Martin-Luther-King-Platz 3
D-20146 Hamburg, GERMANY
+49(0)40 42838 6231